Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What's more Mexican than Mexico?

Well, as it turns out…good old Yankee television (sort of).

You might have a Telemundo station in your town. They broadcast Spanish-language programming here in the United States.

What I didn’t know is that Telemundo is owned by NBC Universal. And NBC Universal is owned by General Electric.

So the Peacock owns Telemundo.

Now, there is a market for Telemundo in Mexico. So they signed a deal with a Mexican broadcast company to air Telemundo programming south of the border. How about that?

I haven’t got a clue what is so special about Telemundo. I always thought they bought their programming from Mexico, but I guess not. What I see when I tune in is soccer, novellas and a Spanish imitation of The Benny Hill Show. It’s fun to watch shows like Batman with Spanish audio. Maybe that is the attraction.

I suppose the deal makes more sense than American flags made in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment