Sunday, March 23, 2008

I've changed my mind

I’m not sure how far this story has traveled. It comes out of Crestwood, Illinois. A woman parked her car at the store and took some children over to the Salvation Army kettle so they could deposit $8 of their money to help the poor.

Her mistake was in leaving her two-year-old asleep in the car. She was arrested by a community service officer and charged with child endangerment, even though she was only 30 feet away from the car, the doors were locked, and she was NOT going shopping.

It was clear she was just making that 30 foot trip from the car to the store entrance and back to the car again.

I was pleased to see that the case was dismissed because I think it was the right thing to do.

But I changed my mind when the lady filed suit against the Crestwood Police for false arrest. Now I wish they had locked the woman up. She went from hero to jerk when she just had to counter-sue with damages.

The older I get the less I believe, “It’s the principle of the thing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment